Differences, similarities, divisions
Origin of social differences
- Some of the social differences are based on choices and lead to formation of social groups.
- Every social difference does not lead to social division.
- Social differences divide similar people from one another, but they also unite very different people.
Overlapping and cross-cutting differences
- Social differences overlap with other differences to give rise to social division.
- Overlapping social differences create possibilities of deep social divisions and tensions but cross-cutting social differences are easier to accommodate.
- Social divisions of one kind or another exist in most countries, irrespective of its size, making them multi-cultural.